More and more we are seeing bike accidents detailed in our newsfeeds. Is this a result of more people taking up riding? Maybe it’s connected to poor maintenance on a bike that’s been sitting in a garage for too long. There can be many reasons. Most important is keeping yourself safe while enjoying your ride.
1. Know the rules of the road.
2. Remember, in a collision with a vehicle the cyclist always loses.>
3. Wear your safety gear. Helmets should be worn at minimum. They are called ‘bike accidents’ not ‘bike planned falls where I know not to hit my head’. Consider headlights and tail lights where needed as well as reflectors. When trail biking, wear the appropriate armour where necessary.
4. Ride single file and in the right side of your lane.
5. Be wary of parked cars where doors may suddenly open and cause you to take flight usually OTB. Door into cyclist is no bueno.
6. Carry some tools for your bike. Know how to perform some quick repairs so that you aren’t stranded.
7. Use your brain (that you have protected with your helmet)
At Airo, our tagline is Enjoy the Ride. Before doing so, please ensure that you take all appropriate safety measures into consideration before setting out on your ride. We only want to read good stories about cycling in our local paper.